revised reading assignment: Frank O’Hara
from Lunch Poems:
- “A Step Away From Them”
- “The Day Lady Died“
- “Personal Poem“
- “Poem (Lana Turner has collapsed!)“
- “Poem (Instant coffee with slightly sour cream)“
Choose one, two, all, or none of these prompts, but please respond to O’Hara and post your response on our class page under the category “Interventions”:
- Close read a poem/poems: O’Hara is not a formally experimental poet, but how does he experiment with meaning-making?
- Close read a poem/poems: Is O’Hara a personal poet? Does he create intimacy with the reader? Respond to the self who writes the poems.
- Is O’Hara kitsch? Is he avant-garde? Does he straddle the line between both?
- David Lehman, in The Last Avant-Garde: The Making of the New York School of Poets, discusses those poets’ use of “blagues” (which translates to “jokes” in French):