This course involves heavy reading, writing, group discussion, and peer critique. The required work includes:
- Reading: All readings should be completed for class on the day they are listed on the syllabus. Do the readings before you start writing assignments.
- Participation: Do the reading. Come to class with assigned texts in hand, ready to talk about them. Turn off your cell phones and cut off social media. Join the conversation in person. Honest self-expression, trust, respect, and collaboration are the foundations of this course.
- Essays: You will compose 4 essays on topics of your choice, in which you set up a critical conversation, assert your own position or hypothesis, and defend it with evidence drawn from primary and secondary sources. Plan on writing many drafts and revising again & again.
- Peer Critique: You will comment on your classmates’ drafts and use the peer critiques you receive to help you revise your draft into a polished essay. You will also complete rubrics, evaluating your peer’s essays and your own.
- Domain Designs: You will create a website that you may use throughout your career at Davidson to gather and showcase your work. This website will feature a portfolio of work you did for this class and an writing audit, in which you read and assess your work for this class, noting patterns and developments